Sunday, August 23, 2009

Defibrillate at 200 jules


This has been a busy week for both Efren and I. He finally starts his masters program in Industrial Engineering on Monday so he has had to make several trips to Norman for various reasons. Unlike many he is so excited to be going back to school. When his books came in from Half.com it was like Christmas. Engineering statistics and something about the methodology of supply chain management and some such. I really don't know, and he is used to that so he just shows me with a big grin and I smile right back with, "so cool, babe!"
I had a course this week at the hospital that is known in the medical field as ACLS. It stands for Advanced Cardiac Life Support and is a certification for health care professionals. According to Wikipedia it is a "set of clinical interventions for the urgent treatment of cardiac arrest and other life threatening medical emergencies, as well as the knowledge and skills to deploy those interventions." Since I work at a heart hospital all RNs are required to pass the course and be certified. I have been dreading this for a long time because to be certified you have to perform as a "code leader" in front of instructors. This means they simulate a Code Blue situation and we have to take over knowing when to shock, how many jules to use, when CPR is indicated, when medications such as epinephrine, amiodarone, adenosine, atropine, lidocaine, vasopressin, and others should and should NOT be used. etc, etc, etc. It's a little overwhelming at first, but come game time I was ready and all went well. What a great relief when it was over.
It's interesting because since becoming a nurse I have thought alot about the work I do every night. Bare with me here because I have alot of thoughts about this and it's hard for me to write them out. Sometimes, despite our best efforts, patients die. As the nurse we tend to play the "what if" game for so long afterwards. The thoughts that I dwell on are the work that nurses and doctors due versus God's will. Ultimately, everything that happens in the universe is up to Him and in His timing. So if I sat at the computer all night and did nothing for my patients would they make it through the night because it wasn't when He had determined for them to go home? Or if I run my booty off allll night until I'm green in the face doing anything and everything I can for them, would they still die despite my efforts because it was their appointed time? God doesn't really NEED me. He doesn't NEED any of us, but He has chosen to use us to do His work. No matter what the line of work, God could have it covered, but I believe He likes to see His children work hard and use the abilities that He has given them to accomplish His work. Hmmmm, well, I'm not sure if any of this has made sense. I'm sorry if it's hard to follow. Just something I've been thinking about.

3 comments:

mom said...

I can't imagine not wondering about those things. I think everyone in medicine thinks exactly those thoughts.I agree, He delights when you use your gifts. No, He doesn't need us, but He uses us. I know He uses you, many times. I remember some who would not have made it through the night, were you not right there. They, the patients, might argue with your assessment. They are thrilled to have you close. Nurses do the hard hour by hour work of healing. They are critical. You honey, are the hands and heart of God, many nights. I love you and am proud of you.

dad said...

I agree with you both. Truth is, the patients are dying before they come to you but you can make a big difference in how much they want to live by showing that they are important to God. The time and concern you give them is of greater value in many cases, than the proper drugs or surgery that the Dr. may order. We have yet to fully exploit the benefits of real caring to sick folks. You are tops!!

Dick James said...

I agree with your Mom and Dad's comments. But neither of them commented on your first paragraph.....so I will. I'm thrilled that Efren is excited about returning to graduate school. He will be a great student with that attitude. As one who has recently returned to the classroom (adjunct prof) after 38 years away; and having studied (and now teaching) statistics; and participated in (and asked to teach) supply chain management for many years, I am excited for Efren that he is getting to study stuff that will be very useful to him for the rest of his professional career. So I agree with Cayce: "Cool, Efren!"