Friday, November 13, 2009

SURPRISE!!!!

Over the past few weeks I have been planning, along with Efren's parents, a birthday surprise for Efren. The idea was to get his brother, Carlos, here without Efren suspecting a thing. Sounds easy, right? Wrong. Apparently I tell Efren everything including what I had for lunch yesterday and which route I took home from the hospital this morning. This became obvious to me in the days leading up to the big surprise. There were so many lies! Ah, it was terrible to try to keep them all straight! Carlos was flying in on Tuesday. I was working Tuesday. I got off, but Efren didn't and wasn't supposed to know that. So when he asks me, "Do you want to take the left over pizza for dinner tonight?" I'm freaking out thinking....."Take it where??" pause.....oooohhh he thinks I'm going to work! "No, honey, thanks, but you can have it." Whew.

I had to get out of the house, without him coming along, to pick Carlos up from the airport. So I told him I was going to lunch with the ladies to plan a baby shower (yes, for you B and KK). With a little stalling (ladies talk alot!), Efren left for Norman before Carlos and I got back to the house. Now for the surprise. When Efren got home that evening there was a package delivered for him on the front porch. Wow, a large package, actually huge! After a couple seconds of awe over how large the box was and wonder of what could possibly be inside, Carlos busts through the top giving Efren the surprise of his life! Wow. He couldn't believe it! He was completely caught off guard and had never suspected a thing. Success!


Ok, so this first picture is a little set up...I wasn't fast enough to get both of them in the initial picture, but that's about what it looked like. Efren hit the wall when Carlos popped out!





It's so fun for me to hear them talking and catching up. I am now realizing what it has been like for him to be so far away from his family. What a sacrifice he has made for me.

5 comments:

mom said...

Ah, I love it! Such good memories too of when Mary did exactly that! what fun. Hope the guys talk a blue streak for all these wonderful days. hugs to all of you!

Brook James said...

Awesome! Glad we could help and be your excuse!

dad said...

Very cool!! Pics were great, staged or not. Even seeing the trees makes me miss the place....dad

kara-kae james said...

What a good surprise!!! I think I'll fly you out here to surprise Brook (but mostly to have you all to myself, we won't tell him!)

dad said...

Ok, so time for a new blog!!!